In order to solve complex IT problems new technology can help.
Almost everyone in tech agrees that Large Language Models (like ChatGPT) are a generational change in what we can do with software. It feels like the blockchain and bitcoin hype all over again.
But can this new machine learning technology be used to simplify IT landscapes? This is a severe problem that many companies and governments face and results in slowing down their development and innovation speed.
New technology to solve complex IT problems can help to:
- Analyse technical and organisational dependencies.
- Create consistent and error-free designs. Designs that can be validated and simulated with special simulation software before creating the real software and adjusting organisational processes.
- Build understanding of causes and effects for possible solutions.
- Offer new solutions to solve root causes of problems simpler and more effectively.
Technology to solve complex IT problems can be divided into:
- Tools that help to analyse the problem and give a deep understanding of underlying causes.
- Tools that help with the process of finding solutions.
- Technology that makes simple solutions to complex problems possible. This category software is a real minefield, since almost every vendor sells software that universally solves all your business problems. History learns that most generic technology solutions fail without a real analysis of the problem situation and a very good insight in advantages and disadvantages of a technology solution.
Great FOSS software exists already for many years to ease the process of problem solving. In this slide deck you find an opinionated selection of proven tools and methods to simplify IT landscapes. When the power of LLMs will be combined with open tools, methods, and knowledge that is already used to analyse and solve complex IT problems, new opportunities with this technology will open new dimensions for open innovation.
But beware: Don’t solve problems you don’t have. Be suspicious of IT hypes!